1. The book of logic contained many conundrums - mind-exercising puzzles.
The word conundrums in this sentence means
pictures - stories
answers - puzzles
2. Jackie was filled with mortification, or shame, because of her careless remark.
The word mortification in this sentence means
proud - shame
confident - happy
3. His rancor, or hatred, of his brother has caused him to live his life as a lonely person.
The word rancor in this sentence means
love - generous
tolerance - hatred
4. The events for the conference were listed in chronological order. They began with the first event of the day and ended with the closing ceremonies in the evening.
The word chronological in this sentence means
out of order - broken
messed up - in order
5. There was crazy pandemonium as people were trying to leave the rock concert.
The word pandemonium in this sentence means
silence - craziness or chaos
order - peace
6. The man was sent to the penitentiary, or prison, for stealing cars.
The word penitentiary in this sentence means
paradise - hotel
prison - heaven